In this tutorial, I am going to show you how to install a WordPress theme manually by 3 different ways. All the three ways are very easy and it only depends on which method you want to try to install your new WordPress theme.
See Also: Free WordPress Installation
Way 1: Theme Installer – Search & Install
Well, this option is the easiest way to install WordPress theme. The only drawback of this option is that you can install only those WordPress themes which are available in the free WordPress theme directory. If you are looking forward to install a free WordPress theme for your new blog, here are the few step on how you can install a WordPress theme via Search & Install.
1. Open your WordPress dashboard. Go to Appearance -> Themes
2. Click Install Theme Tab.
3. In the search box, type your keyword. eg: If you are looking for a business theme, type business. Similarly if you are looking for the Blog themes, type blog. The search results will show you all the available themes related to your keyword.
4. Select your theme which looks compatible to your requirements.
5. Click Install theme just below the theme thumbnail to install that particular theme.
6. After the installation is complete, Click Activate.
7. This is it. Your theme is successfully installed and activated.
Way 2: Theme Installer – Upload & Install
To install a WordPress theme manually using upload and install method; here are the basic steps to follow:
1. First of all extract your theme package that you have just received from a theme company and downloaded it on your desktop.
3. Look for the folder with the theme name as shown above. Zip this folder as shown below.
4. Go back to your WordPress Dashboard – > Appearance -> Themes.
5. Click Install Theme Tab -> Upload.
6. Choose the zip file that you have just created and click Install.
7. Finally Click Activate Theme.
Congratulations. You have successfully installed and activated your WordPress theme.
Way 3: Install WordPress Theme via FTP
To manually install a WordPress theme using FTP method, follow these steps:
1. First of all extract your theme package that you have just received from the theme company and downloaded it on your desktop.
3. Look for the folder with the theme name as shown above.
4. Open your FTP program and enter your site credentials.
5. Update your remote site directory to: yourwebsite.com/wp-content/themes/. This is the only directory where you can upload your WordPress theme. You will also find some other theme folders already present there.
6. Now using FTP, Upload the theme folder on your computer to the wp-content/themes/ folder on the server. The upload process may take a couple of minuted depending upon the size of the theme.
7. The last and final step is to activate your theme. For this Go back to your WordPress dashboard.
8. Navigate to Appearance -> Themes. If you have successfully uploaded your theme files, here you will find the thumbnail of your newly uploaded theme along with the previous themes already present.
9. Click on the Activate option next to the them you want to activate. Your theme will be successfully installed.
I hope I have covered all the necessary steps in all the 3 different methods on how to install a WordPress theme. If you face any difficulties, just post a comment below.